Pressure Cooking

I absolutely LOVE my pressure cooker. I use this much more often than my crock pot, mainly because the day tends to get away from me before I remember to get my crock pot started. With my pressure cooker, I can start a roast thawing in a sink of water at 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon, cook it in the pressure cooker for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness, and still have dinner ready and on the table by 5:00 or 5:30!

My pressure cooker is stainless steel and is a 6 quarter cooker. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller if you want the ability to cook a wide range of items.

Important Pressure Cooking Tips:

  • Please remember that pressure cooking speeds up the time that your meat is cooked. Most roasts and items like short ribs can be cooked in 20-30 minutes using a pressure cooker.
  • Please follow the instructions that come with your pressure cooker and do not guess at cooking times.
  • If meat is pressure cooked too long, it will become tough - many make the mistake of thinking that this means the meat is not done and needs to cook longer - this is not the case.
  • If you do overcook in your pressure cooker, you can cook the meat longer to a point where it can be shredded for beef bar-b-que sandwiches or other dishes.
  • For excellent information about proper pressure cooking and recent pressure cooker recalls - please visit this site: missvickie.com.