Pots And Pans

These are the pots and pans that I use in my kitchen for most of my cooking:

1. CAST IRON ~ (made in TN - there is a Lodge factory outlet near Chattanooga) ~ This is my number one choice for many reasons. It is very cost effective. It is durable and will last a lifetime. It is an excellent heat conductor. Most people today don't use cast iron because they do not know how to season it properly. Although you can buy pre-seasoned cast iron today, I still prefer to season my own.

How to Properly Season Cast Iron: Here's how to do it properly so the pores will seal out odors:

A. Lightly oil the pan with vegetable oil. Don't forget to do the lid too.
B. Place the pan and lid in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
C. Make sure you put the pan in the oven upside down. This is essential or you will bake the oil in and have a sticky residue.
D. You might need to season the pan 2 or 3 times before you first use it.

Store your cast iron with paper towels between them to absorb any excess moisture and prevent rust. If you have sticky residue, use lots of elbow grease and steel wool with no detergent, then re-season. For rust, you must scrub and re-season.

2. Stainless Steel with Copper Bottoms ~ I use these for a lot of everyday cooking. I look for heavy duty pans with a riveted handle. I want to make sure the handle does not come off! Also, a riveted handle will allow you to go from cooktop to oven (what I do with my breaded lamb chops - yum!). Copper is a great head conductor.